Monday, June 18, 2012

Learning from past experiences by writing

Currently, I am enrolled in a Creative Non-fiction Writing class. I love this class and enjoy learning how to be a better writer.  Writing proves to be an amazing process to me.  As I write through my thought processes, I discover things I never fully understand before or sometimes it helps me to change my perspective on my current or past situations.

Recently for my class, I wrote about a past time in my life which I consider one of the most challenging times of my life.  As I thought through that experience, remembering, and reflecting upon that trying time, I saw something that I never realized before.  I have continued to blame my circumstances and other people for that challenging time.  I was miserable and depressed and decided to change my path following that difficult semester at college.  What I realize today is I had the power to change things, but instead I allowed myself to be swallowed up in misery, so much that I couldn't see beyond myself, or find a way through my challenges in the moment. I wish instead of just focusing on getting past that semester, I wish I would have worked harder to find happiness during those four months.

All these years later, I finally look at that time differently.   Of course, years of experience help me see what I couldn’t see then.  Reflecting upon it helps me not forget my past trials, but to continue to learn from them to give me wisdom and understanding to face my current and future challenges.

Capturing our thought processes and to see where our thinking will lead us is an incredible experience. Those "aah" moments when we change the way we perceive life or understand something we never truly grasped before continues to be my favorite thing about writing


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Foundation of Our Society is Strong Families

Last month, the Denver City Council approved to open a safe injection site, where drug users could come and use illegal drugs in a safe ...