Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Challenges of Parenting -- Am I Up to the Task?

When it comes to parenting, I sometimes question if I am up to the task. I try not to become discouraged, but with the daily challenges of teaching children, helping children, and resolving conflict, at times, I feel discouraged. It is not easy raising a family.

As a mom, I worry -- at any one time I could probably express a worry I have about each or most of my children.  I don't think its going to get any easier.  This is not an easy world to live in, evil surrounds us and constantly tries to bombard our family. I must help my children to understand this battle and fight, fight, fight--to overcome the world, to stand strong, to be good examples, to withstand temptation, to rise above.  My husband and I must be their captains -- and lead them into or away from battle, depending on whether fighting is required.  We must teach our children who they are and who they can become.  We must help them see that life is more than the images portrayed in music, movies, and the internet.

This Is My Quest--no matter how hopeless, no matter how far.  The Impossible Dream is my theme for our family.  I have loved this song since a teenager.  I use it now when I contemplate how difficult life and parenting is.  A war wages all around us.  I cannot shrink from my duty as co-captain of our army. Thankfully, God's on our side -- that is the only way we can succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Foundation of Our Society is Strong Families

Last month, the Denver City Council approved to open a safe injection site, where drug users could come and use illegal drugs in a safe ...