Wednesday, December 25, 2013

A Tender Christmas Memory


One particular year, I was working with three mentally handicapped children in a group home.  They lived with a family and I would come to the family’s house and help these three boys work on goals and help them with basic life skills. On that first night of Christmas lights, the daughter in the family was scheduled to perform at Temple Square in the North Visitors Center and I was scheduled to work, so a friend and I and two of the boys drove to Temple Square. This first night tends to be a very busy night with throngs of people finding their way around Temple Square. My job that night was to lead Shaun, while my friend helped Jason, through the crowds and to the Visitor’s Center and meet up with the family. We slowly made our way through the crowds.  In the North Visitors Center, we stopped at the bottom of the ramp leading to the Christus, as we decided whether to head upstairs to find the singing group or to go downstairs.  At the moment we reached the ramp, tears came into my eyes as I thought of the boy I was guiding.  Shaun’s time on earth would most likely be shortened.  In his condition (born with an enlarged heart, a decreased lung capacity, and unable to talk), his body had to fight hard and yet he had made it through nearly 18 years, long past what the doctors expected.

As I stood unaware of all the people around me, I envisioned that soon Shaun would probably make that journey and that his time on earth would be short.  One day he would return to heaven and to his Savior, Jesus Christ.  I pictured in my mind Shaun moving through through space towards Jesus. I saw Jesus take him in his arms and express to Shaun the love He has for Shaun.  My vision lasted for just a small moment, but it was a beautiful picture. I knew then that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love all of us, regardless of our handicaps or circumstances, and they long for us to return to live with them again.

Every time I return to the North Visitors Center, I reflect upon that night twenty-three years ago.  As I slowly walk up the ramp, I picture sweet Shaun in my mind.  The boy who loved Bruce Springsteen’s song, “Born in the USA” and would dance excitedly every time that song was played, but now he is no longer hampered by his physical body.  He is with his Savior and one day I will see him again and I will run to him and put my arms around him and I will thank him for allowing me to serve him while he was here on earth. 
(Jason is pictured on the left and Shaun is on the right.  They helped at my wedding reception.  Their job was to help take the gifts as people came in.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Foundation of Our Society is Strong Families

Last month, the Denver City Council approved to open a safe injection site, where drug users could come and use illegal drugs in a safe ...